Saturday, September 03, 2005

Comfort Poem

On of my favorite comfort poems. Yeah, I know I'm weird.

Doesn't work so well for cities though. :(

Grass
Carl Sandburg

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work -

I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:

What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.

1 comment:

Ravin said...

This poem reminded me of Hiroshima. At the site of ground zero, there is a peace park. In the park, there is a sizeable hill in which are interred many of those who were killed--civilians, factory workers. There are many, many paper cranes strung together and left at various shrines around the park.